Monday, October 12, 2009

Japan - Funny Story

In Kyoto, we were looking for a department store called "The Loft." Mike knew it was downtown because he had seen it there the day before, but he couldn't remember exactly where it was. We were about to give up finding it, when I offered to ask someone for directions (not so easy with the language barrier).

There were two nice looking older ladies nearby so I went up to them and said "Loft?" with my hands out like a question. They, of course, didn't understand me, so I said it again and they were very nice in trying again to understand me. Then after the third time, Mike comes over, and in very good Japanese asks them "Where is Loft?" And they LAUGHED! They thought it was so funny that I was asking for directions when I didn't know any Japanese while my husband stood nearby with the ability to ask. They gave us directions and continued to chuckle as we walked away.

I liked the way Mike put it - I had the guts to ask the question, but he had the ability to...guess we even each other out!
.
.
.

No comments: