Saturday, October 17, 2009

Coming Back to China

Coming back to China on Sunday was quite a culture shock for me. When I initially arrived in June, I was dead tired from an overnight flight and weeks of prep. So while I knew I was in China, I don't think my brain really registered all that I was seeing. This time, I was awake and alert. Coming from Japan, I couldn't help but notice that China is dirty, crumbling, and chaotic. It took me a few days and 2 trips into town to feel "back to normal" where I don't notice (as much) the cars driving on the wrong side of the highway, the pedestrians stepping in front of moving cars (and the cars not stopping), and the trash.

But now, a week later, this culture shock has turned to something more. I've wondered if the Chinese are happy with the current state of their country? Do they like it the way it is? Do Chinese who travel to Japan or the US wish that people in China would follow traffic rules? Do they wish their rivers and streets were clean? If they want it to change, how long will it take to change cultural values?

I've also felt quite judgmental the past week. I'm judging China based on my Western upbringing and standards. China is different, but the Chinese people I meet are happy. Isn't that enough?
.
.
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe they just don't know any better...sad, but may be the case.

Tina said...

I agree. If the majority of the Chinese have never been outside their country, they may not see it that way. Kind of like an American who has never left small-town Kansas might never understand how anyone could possibly live without a car.