Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Going to "Archie"

When people are going to the fabric market and tailor they say the are going to "Archie".... at least it sounds like that. It is actually "er qi" (27). I don't know if that is what the building is called or the address. I just know where to tell my driver to go!

The fabric market is nothing like I've ever imagined. Two floors of nothing but material and sewing supplies, plus stands for tailors. Each floor has about 500 stands. It is a typical Chinese market - a very large building full of individual stalls. Each stall is an individual's business. Here are some pictures.

Two typical aisles:


Tailor stalls:


The stall which specializes in striped t-shirt material:



It is amazing what you can find here - I think you could find almost any kind and color of fabric.

Most people we know go there to visit a specific tailor (stall #6). She has a good reputation and speaks some English. You can show her a picture or a piece of clothing you already have and she can copy it. Her husband will take you to a stall to pick out the fabric you want. Here she is fitting a coat:


Kiana and I went a week ago to have her Halloween costume made [you'll have to wait for pictures because I can't ruin the surprise]. It took a week and cost only $15 for the sewing!

I'm thinking of going back someday to have a sweater knit...or maybe a nice coat made... I have lots of time to think about it...

Note: if you double click on the pictures, it should make them bigger.
.
.
.

3 comments:

Laura said...

That sounds like so much FUN Debbie! I wish we could go to the Archie with you!

Tina said...

Can I go?

Anonymous said...

It looks like a place we could spend a lot of time in.