Thursday, August 27, 2009

No Pearls, No Apron

Have I turned into June Cleaver? Have I returned to the 50s? Some days I feel like it. Fresh, hot cookies when the kids get home from school and calling the kids in from riding their bikes to come in for a home-cooked meal!

Especially the day I made "Pork Chops Supreme" and "Au Gratin Potatoes" with recipes from my new best friend Betty Crocker. And I sliced my own carrot sticks, too! You see, we have very few convenience foods here, so we have gone back to the day when people actually made and cooked food, not just prepared and reheated food. Can you believe that?? I cook (not just bake)!! From scratch!!

Actually to me, this is quite fascinating. I really thought that we used to eat relatively healthy. Of course, "relatively" is the keyword. We ate healthy compared to the typical American, but in general, not so much. Too much restaurant food, too many packaged foods, too much junk food. We have very little of that now...but we do have some!

But, surprisingly to me, I think I'm enjoying this. I appreciate having the TIME to cook. I like the feeling of being able to relax while I create meals instead of feeling like I am rushing through meal prep because we have a zillion other things to do. Life really is simpler here. Less stuff, fewer activities, less busy-ness.

So tonight we'll be having salmon, potatoes and green beans. And I made fresh peach crisp for dessert. Wish you were here to join us!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love salmon! Aunt Judy prepares it about once every couple of weeks. So, after you return to the States, we'd love to have you visit and demonstrate your new-found skills for us!

Luv, Uncle Paul

P.S. We'd invite your folks to join us, too.

The Barrs said...

Thanks Uncle Paul! We'd love to join you! I have fond memories of Lake Almanor from my Chico days!

Unknown said...

"Pork chops and apple sauce...ain't that swell."

I think I need to get you an apron for Christmas!! :0)

The Barrs said...

I'll be a totally new woman!