Tuesday, August 25, 2009

How My Life is Different in China

If you are curious about any of these, ask and I'll explain...

1. I'm not allowed to drive - our Chinese driver takes me everywhere (company policy).
2. I have neighbors above and below me.
3. I have a house cleaner (ayi) once a week.
4. I have a small washing machine.
5. I exercise outside instead of in the gym.

6. I use Facebook a lot more.
7. I take my cell phone everywhere and actually use it.
8. I plan my meals and shopping trips more carefully because I can't just run to QFC or Safeway.
9. I drink milk out of 1 liter boxes.
10. I let my kids drink way more juice.

11. I make my bed every day.
12. I like that my furniture all matches.
13. I'm more relaxed.
14. I watch less TV.
15. I read more books.

16. I eat healthier.
17. I scrub all my fruits and vegetables.
18. I spend less time putting away "stuff" cuz we have less stuff.
19. I rarely eat out.
20. I have 1/4 of the clothes I used to, and it's ok.

21. I have a wider circle of friends.
22. My shower isn't as hot.
23. My kids get more exercise.
24. I don't do yard work.
25. I don't have a dog to keep me company during the day.

26. I don't pick up dog poo.
27. I don't take the trash out to the curb.
28. I don't own a vacuum.
29. I don't have a job.
30. I don't read the newspaper every day.

31. I don't talk to people when I shop.
32. I don't eat as much chocolate.
33. I don't get junk mail.
34. I can't live as spontaneously.
35. I see poverty and wealth every day.
.
.
.

2 comments:

Laura said...

We were out riding bikes yesterday and thought of you (we do whenever we ride past your house!) as we saw the renters going into your house. We miss you guys, but we also love hearing about your adventures in China!

P.S. Emma got Kiana's postcard this week! Thank you!

The Barrs said...

Glad the postcard arrived! We miss you too! Happy that we can keep in touch via Facebook.