Thursday, May 20, 2010

Voluntary Torture

Voluntary Torture....otherwise know as Chinese acupressure....Yes, that's what I put myself through today.

Why? Well, I've had a nagging shoulder injury since fall. It hurts to reach above my head and behind my back. After hoping it would just go away on it's own (for 7 months), I finally decided to take action.

The first step was a visit to our local doctor and he prescribed Physical Therapy via video chat with a therapist in Beijing. Actually, I was quite impressed by the application of technology to help with my treatment, but my instinct was telling me that this therapy wasn't the right cure.

The second step was an amazing full-body massage by a Chinese masseuse. A massage that was the roughest and most physical I had ever experienced. After the massage I realized that I definitely had better range of motion in my arm...which got me thinking about other options.

Which was the third step - acupressure. I have a friend who is Chinese and she highly recommended going to a local "massage therapist". She had been earlier in the year for her shoulder and it is now better. I have always been a fan of alternative medicine, and I was hoping to get an opportunity to try some Chinese therapies while here, so I decided to give it a try.

So, my first visit was today. His office is in a small storefront at the base of a tall residential tower, in a densely populated neighborhood. The office is quite small - maybe 20 ft x 15 ft. We walk in and there is a small waiting area at the front of the room and three massage tables in the back. He is smoking a cigarette. My friend is along as an interpreter.

She explains the problem and then for the next 20 minutes I endure the torture. I've always pictured acupressure as someone gently pushing their thumb onto pressure points on your body. Not this guy...

Picture a small, strong Chinese man leaning his body weight onto his elbow which is jammed into the tender parts of my body. Now I know a pain worse than natural childbirth!

Of course, it didn't hurt that bad the whole time, and I used the breathing techniques I learned in Bradley classes to help me through it. My friend had warned me that most people scream because it hurts so bad, so I knew what to expect.

The funny part is that Mr. Jin said he wasn't pressing as hard because I was older and quiet! I guess being over 40 does have its rewards!

I now feel relaxed and my arm feels like my body feels after a good workout - relaxed and tired. I have a few bruises on my back and arm.

The whole thing cost $3 (US).

And, I'm going back on Monday. Yes, crazy...
.
.
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds like when I got real PT for my shoulder after my car accident...getting in there to break up the scar tissue and fix things was torturous. PT = physical torture!

Laurie