Friday, May 28, 2010

Voluntary Torture, Part II

I've had three treatments for my shoulder and I can tell it's working. I have better range of motion and less pain.

During the second treatment, he recommended the Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) practice of cupping. I wasn't convinced that it would actually help my shoulder, but I thought....What the heck?...I'm in China....Let's give it a try...

So he takes these little glass bowls (that look like little goldfish bowls from the county fair) and puts a flame inside to heat them up, then sticks them to my skin. As the air inside the bowl cools, it creates a vacuum, which pulls my skin into the glass bowl. Yes, it hurts.



The result is the pretty bruised circles on my skin (can't wear tank tops for a few weeks).


TCM believes that it will bring heat and healing to my shoulder area. Hmmm.....

I'm still willing to try anything once....as long as it doesn't involve dirty needles, small enclosed spaces, raw meat, and, and, and...
.
.
.

1 comment:

The Dalian Clan said...

You look good in polka dots! :)