Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Goodbye, Mr. Wang

As I've mentioned before, Mike's company doesn't allow us to drive in China. So the company provides us with a car and driver. Our car is leased by Mike's company and is parked in a car company lot at night. It's a silver Honda Odyssey minivan (yes, we think it's funny that it's the same as our old van).

It's been an interesting experience having a driver. We are never, ever alone in the car. No private conversations. No singing out loud to the stereo. I actually held the car key for the first time last weekend.

We've had the same driver, Mr. Wang, since we arrived in China...literally...he was there to pick us up at the airport last June. His last day with us was yesterday - he took a new job with the government where he can make more money. Mr. Wang spoke pretty good English, so we learned a lot about him in our rides about town.

Every morning, Mr. Wang (rhymes with long), went to the lot to pick up the car, then drove to our house (30 minutes) to pick up Mike for the ride to work (20 minutes). Mr. Wang is single, 27 years old and lives with his mother and father in a small apartment in KaiFaQu. To get to the car lot each morning, he took the bus, a taxi or rode his electric bicycle. Some mornings he was lucky and his dad drove him to the car lot.

Here is how we will remember him. He's like a 16 year old in a 27 year old body. He loves cars. He talks about cars all the time. His dream car is an Audi. It will take him many, many, many years to save up enough money to buy an Audi.

He loves computers. As young boys tend to do, he wants the fastest and the best of everything. He just borrowed money from his father to buy a new computer. It will take him many, many, many years to earn enough money to pay his father back.

Although he has had a few dates with girls, he's not sure that he's ready to date or settle down. He'd rather have more money than a girlfriend (his words!). His parents really want him to get married! He keeps saying he's not ready yet.

When he first started working for us, he was very inexperienced. Driving around China is scary enough, but driving around with someone who drives like a 16 year old boy is even scarier!! Thankfully, he listened to our coaching and learned a lot in the past 10 months!

We think he's had a pretty easy job working for us because we don't go very many places. Mike carpools to work regularly and I only go out once or twice a week. That means that although he was paid to be available to us 12 hours a day, he only worked a few of those hours. During the day when he wasn't driving for us, he would go home and play computer video games. I hope he likes his new job even though he'll have to work 6 days a week and be much more available.

Mr. Wang and just some of the vans waiting in the morning:




Our new driver started today. His name is Liu. So far he seems very experienced and a good driver, but he doesn't speak much English. I think we'll be OK. :)
.
.
.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am getting increasingly offended by your stories and I think you are speaking without a brain.I can not stop myself to point it out,this has nothing to do with my "face",its more to do with the reality.
if wang worked for you as a driver,his salary would more than likely around 1500rmb/month if not more,the computer in dalian are around 5000 rmb average.3000 rmb for a lower tech one,and very good ones are only above 7000rmb. what the hell he need many many many years to save the enough money for a computer??
according to your other stories,we are not as good as your america,of course we are not good in your eyes,we will never be good in your eyes.nearly every singleday every singlething you can make a camplain about,there is not a tiny little thing to make you feel happy,our people always treat westerners over friendly and give you far too much respect,but do you really appreciate? no,i really do not think so.
we have our major problems,but dont you the same?we are developing in our own way,we will appreciate your help,but not sneer.
if you wish you dont live in china,then please leave,we tried our best to make guests comfortble there(like you are having an ayi and driver), if only you respect our culture and our people,if only you wish to make friends with the locals, you will still be welcomed.otherwise,its not a good idea to stay here,coz it will only make your life misery,isnt it?try some nice town in the UK,seven sisters.brixton,hackney,elephant castle etc,and I can guarantee you will feel "happier".
I know this message will make you upset or even angry,then think about my feelings when I read you blogs with all the negtive views of china,you hardly tried to
integrate, assimilate or identify with this country, its culture, or its way of life.so,good bye ms barrhouse.leave is your best choice.

The Barrs said...

Dear Anonymous -
First, let’s get the facts straight. Our driver earned about 1500 rmb per month, a salary determined by the company. Because he is a computer expert and an enthusiastic gamer, he built his own computer and he has a strong desire to have the very best components including core i7 CPU, best possible video card, a 500 rmb ($75) ‘gaming mouse’, and a 3000 rmb ($450) top quality Dell 24” monitor. In total, he spent over 15,000 rmb ($2200), which is about 10 months pay. He borrowed the money from his father, and if he pays it back with 1/3 of his monthly income, it will take 2.5 years. There nothing wrong with this, he is free to spend his money any way he chooses. But I find it interesting that he would spend so much (I would also find it interesting if an American spent that much!).

I absolutely and positively agree that my blog is based on cultural bias. I am an American living in China. American and Chinese cultures are different in many ways. In some ways, America is better; in other ways, China is better. Each one is good and unique in its own way. Each one is bad in it's own way (did you read my blog about the things that I don't like and don't miss about America?)
I talk mostly about how China is different because that is what I am experiencing and I want to share it with my friends and family back home. Things about America also upset me, but because I'm not there now, I'm not writing about them. We are very thankful to have the opportunity to live in China.

Please save your feelings of frustration and stop reading if I continue to offend you.

Anonymous said...

dear ms barrhouse:firstly thank you for your kind reply,you didn't mention anything above in your blog,if so,maybe I could understand more,I am the one welcomed you in your first entry about moving to dalian,dalian is my beloved hometown,full of beautiful memories of my childhood.now while I living in the UK,your blog became a window to me to see her beauty. thats why I cant help but keep reading your blogs.maybe I should stop now due to your advise.
this misunderstanding between us is about our view of living in a different country with completely different culture,maybe it does to do with our cultural,our way of thinking,my blog about the life living in the UK are mainly focused on the good things about this country,avoid the bad,because I would let my people know about this country's positive side where we can learn from,also I do not want my family worry about me though UK is having sooooo much problems on its(anti-social behavior/chav culture/criminal welfare etc),if you come to live in any of the towns in london rather than regent street(this is the only safe street according to MET),you will see exactly what I mean.in the past 6 years,I lost(someone stolen) one bag,two mobiles in three locations and I have been stalked at least 5 times,nearly been robbed once,have at least 5 or 6 times the thug-like teenagers want my number or shout to me in daylight,witnessed 3 times street fighting,twice pub fighting,nealy been killed when we out to see the fireworks in new year eve(a group of asian teenagers throw beer battles into the crowd,but police couldnt get in because of too many people),once I saw a passer by been hit on the head by lots cold water throw out from a window of estate in whitecarple,I can always see the drunks peeing out side the tube station.......
after all,focuse on the bad things only make you feeling low,so light up yourself,try to see the beauty of the life,open your mind,if you cant change the things arround you then change yourself,there is a song called"always look the bright side of life",its my faverite.
anyway,I try to stop myself reading your blog,good luck to you all,you have a lovely family

Tina said...

Hi Debi,

I love your blog and I read it almost every day. I feel like you're doing an excellent job of telling us what your life is like, from the only perspective you have, as an American living in China.

Keep up the good work and the good writing.

Tina

Anonymous said...

Tina is a typical American,no wonder British/Europeans don't like American

god will bless the real good person with a decent good heart:)

this is my last entry to your blog,wish all the west to you and your family,I pray to god send his love to them.
kind regards
eathoy

Anonymous said...

You do a fantastic job writing so that American's can get a glimpse of the Kaifaqu/Golden Pebble Beach/Dalian area. I understand that some may be surprised or offended, but PLEASE continue to write honestly and with lots of humor. I especially enjoy the photos.