Saturday, September 12, 2009

Public Urination

The ultimate culture clash...Americans who do everything privately and Chinese who don't mind doing some things in public...I've been thinking of this post for a while, and I can't hold it in any more.

Let me start by saying that I technically don't have a problem with urinating outside of a bathroom, but I guess I do think that some locations are more appropriate than others. I figure if it's a place where I'd let my dog pee, then it's ok for people too - like in the grass, where it can trickle down into the ground.

I'm still surprised that nearly every time I go out in the car, I see someone peeing....really! Thankfully most of the men turn their backs to the road... and the women wear skirts... I've seen a few little boys going in the middle of the parking lot at the market. Most of the people are going in the grass (a Debi-approved location).

Even so...surprising...every time...still...
.
.
.

5 comments:

Tina said...

Definitely a culture thing. I remember having to pee by the side of the road in Egypt (men to the left side of the bus, women to the right). I was always afraid some joker bus driver would move the bus. Skirts, especially long full ones, are handy for public peeing.

The problem with a place like China (or Egypt, or Thailand) where public peeing is common, means that there just aren't many restrooms, and some day you will have to do it too.

The Barrs said...

Tina - I know... I've done it in public and know that sometimes that's the only choice...and I wasn't wearing a skirt! I've been surprised that I find it surprising... But, I think you helped me figure out why I find it so surprising here...it's that restrooms are available (often near where I see the people), just not being used! Of course, some of the restrooms are less than desirable....

Tina said...

I remember restrooms that made me realize I'd rather pee in the middle of a public market than set a toe in the restroom!

One handy item to carry in a purse or backpack is a super-thin cotton sarong. Can double in a pinch as a skirt, as a beach blanket, as a swimming pool wrap, or a beach-side swimsuit changing booth.

Laura said...

WOW! It sure would make potty training an easier task for me. I'm in the process of getting Aidan trained, and realizing (all over again) how excruciating the whole experience is!

The Barrs said...

Yup, he could just pee everywhere! I remember those potty training days...