Sunday, June 21, 2009

First Impression of Shopping in China

Yesterday we went to Carrefour - a French based market like Fred Meyer that sells Chinese and imported foods. Even though all the labels are in Chinese, we managed to recognize the brand name of many products. We bought Ritz, Lays, Pringles, Oreos, Snickers, Minute Maid (no I haven't forgotten that I'm a nutritionist)....and saw Dove soap, Glad Wrap, Budweiser, Doublemint gum, Skittles, Ragu and Planters peanuts.

The kids liked the special escalator that you can take the cart on.

My impression of the market is that it was loud (loud music and people with little microphones selling things), busy, bright, cluttered and hot. And that I had NO idea where to start looking for things I wanted!

And just so everyone knows, I don't think the Chinese way is bad or wrong, just different. I'm sharing my impressions so you can see some of our experiences.

Today we will visit more stores downtown.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi,good to hear you are all safe,I am your big follower of your blog,keep your good work

Anonymous said...

Keep posting! I'm reading every day. I love hearing about your adventures. Going to live in another country is all about the little stuff--what you eat, what people do, how they get to work, how they celebrate. These are the things you can't know until you go somewhere to live and not be a tourist.

Thanks!

Tina and Allen and the gang