Thursday, May 14, 2009

5 weeks...

I consider myself an expert at moving - this will be the 22nd time that I've moved in my lifetime! Don't feel sorry for me though, in spite of all those moves, I spent my childhood (first grade through graduation) in the same small town (Ukiah, California), and I've now lived in the same house in Beaverton for the past 13 years.

My point is that I could pack up a house and get ready to move with my eyes closed, I know how to do it so well. But this move is unlike any other....

Mike suggested that I write about "THE GREAT SORT." So I will. This move has nothing to do with packing (if fact we are NOT ALLOWED to pack) and everything to do with sorting.

Have you seen the TV show where they take everything in the house, move it onto the front lawn, and they sort it into piles before moving only the things they are keeping back inside? Well, I think we've now done the equivalent in our house (we skipped the front lawn part though...living in Oregon....rain....)

Every item in our house has been sorted and categorized:
  1. Take on the airplane with us in a carry-on suitcase
  2. Take on the airplane with us in a suitcase that we will need at the hotel
  3. Take on the airplane with us in a suitcase/box that we won't need to open until we are at our new condo
  4. Take to China, but can wait 2-6 weeks for it to arrive in air shipment packed by movers
  5. Put into storage for 2 years - impossible to have access to it until it is out of storage
  6. Store at parents' house (too precious for commercial storage or want access to it)
  7. Sell on ebay
  8. Sell on Craigslist
  9. Give away to friends or relatives
  10. Goodwill/Community Warehouse donations
  11. Trash
(In spite of the 11 categories, I'm feeling like I left one out...)

I have to say, the kids have been great through it all - helping me sort through their rooms and giving away toys. Kevin even gave up his room when we turned it into "China" - the place where we are storing everything that will go to China.

I estimate that we've purged more than 5000 pounds of stuff! Whew! I haven't felt this organized and clutter free since I had kids! Maybe I should write a book..."Move to China and Declutter Your Life."

"China":













.
.
.

No comments: